Sunday Psalm: 11 -- In The Lord I Put My Trust

New King James Version                               Image via Wikipedia
Psalm 11

 1 In the LORD I put my trust;
         How can you say to my soul,
         “Flee as a bird to your mountain”?
 2 For look! The wicked bend their bow,
         They make ready their arrow on the string,
         That they may shoot secretly at the upright in heart.
 3 If the foundations are destroyed,
         What can the righteous do?
       
 4 The LORD is in His holy temple,
         The LORD’s throne is in heaven;
         His eyes behold,
         His eyelids test the sons of men.
 5 The LORD tests the righteous,
         But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
 6 Upon the wicked He will rain coals;
         Fire and brimstone and a burning wind
         Shall be the portion of their cup.
       
 7 For the LORD is righteous,
         He loves righteousness;
         His countenance beholds the upright.[a

New King James Version (NKJV)Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

A key interpretive issue with this psalm is how far the quotation in the first paragraph goes. Compare the above with the NASB below:

 1 In the LORD I take refuge;
How can you say to my soul, “Flee as a bird to your mountain;
2 For, behold, the wicked bend the bow,
They [a]make ready their arrow upon the string
To shoot in darkness at the upright in heart.
3 If the foundations are destroyed,
What can the righteous do?”

I favour the latter interpretation. Have a restful day.

source: Biblegateway.com
Enhanced by Zemanta